Last week I was pleasantly surprised to be notified by my phone (HTC HD7) that the Windows Phone 7.5 Mango update was available. Of course being a cautious, patient end-user, I rushed to my desktop to sync my phone and installed the update. I've been impressed with Windows Phone 7 since I switched from the iPhone in February - it didn't have certain features I had grown accustomed to on my iPhone, but I reminded myself that the iPhone didn't have those features when I switched to it either. And sure enough, over time, Microsoft has made consistent improvements to the OS and has made it a real contender in the Mobile market. Now, I knew that I was going to be pleased with the features added by Mango, but I didn't think it was going to be a 100% improvement over an already decent platform. Somewhere during my raving about the added features and improved performance I realized that my wife's HD7 had yet to notify her of an available update. Hmm . . . trouble in K-Town.
After some searching I came upon the unlikely recommendations over at winrumors.com:
- Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune client
- Click on Phone/Settings/Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
- Click the update button again, and this time immediately disconnect your computer from the internet (some people have better luck waiting 1-2 seconds). Do this by pulling the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi and ensuring there is no Internet connection.
- After around 30 seconds or so you should receive a notification that an update is available. This is 7392, a post-NoDo security update.
- Connect your machine back to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune client
- After 7392 is fully installed, you may receive a notification that another update is available. If so, install Mango now. If not, proceed to the next step.
- If the second update isnÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t popping up on its own, repeat steps 3-5, causing the 7403 update to appear.
- Install 7403
- After 7403 is installed, Zune should automatically start installing 7720, Mango. If it doesnÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t happen automatically, force it using steps 3-5 once again
- Windows Phone 7.5 ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œMangoÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â installed