This morning I ran into a couple of issues with my local installation of AppFabric (which I use for dev and testing) and figured I would post the quick solutions here in the hope that it may save you some time in the future.
This was actually the issue that caused the second one (okay, I actually caused the second issue while trying to fix this one... +1 for BBTF* in the future):
What I ran:
At line:1 char:1
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Use-CacheCluster], DataCacheException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.DataCacheException, Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.Commands.UseCacheClusterCommand
Make sure that the remote registry service (aptly named RemoteRegistry) is running; AppFabric uses this service to connect to the cache cluster (even locally):
Trying to fix the above problem I figured that I had fouled up my installation with the application of some hotfix, CU, or some prerelease software (I did just install the Visual Studio 2013 preview along with .NET 4.5.1) so I figured I would back the AppFabric caching service out and reinstall it . . . wherein the reinstallation promptly failed returning the ever-so-helpful error: 1603.
What worked for me is correcting an environment variable that was fubar'd:
An inadvertent " (double quote) had found its way into this entry; it was following the Workflow Manager path (C:\Program Files\Workflow Manager\1.0) but I'm not sure if this was coincidence or not as this was the last path in the string. Removing the offending double tick allowed the AppFabric installation to finish successfully while simultaneously allowing me to realize that I was back where I started with issue #1.
*Bing Before Trying Fix